You people on Facebook have seen the nice dairy barn photo, which seems awfully cool! The barn is cool, but is sadly way beyond restoration. To take that photo, I leaned a ladder against the front exterior wall of the barn, and it did not feel safe. N. and I were looking around inside on a windy day, and there were far too many noises suggesting it was about to collapse. Here's a view that captures the disarray:
You can see that the roof arches on this south side have fallen over the cement wall and are on the ground. This seems to have been precipitated by roof damage and water leakage that sped up the deterioration of one of the massive support beams, which is now broken, a part of it resting on the floor of the barn. It is actually shocking how intact the interior still is, including the hay loft on the second floor (I took a photo in color yesterday in addition to the B&W posted on fb). Again, I did not enter this part of the barn, I stayed on a ladder outside, because it does not seem remotely safe.
N. and I have spent a short amount of time in the first floor of the barn because the well head and pressure tank of our farm well is located in the front corner of the barn. We have been trying to get a very good sense of all the infrastructure here, especially concerning farm irrigation. Early this week we also turned the farm water back on to see what our flow rate will be:
There is some worry that the barn could collapse and destroy our pressure tank (or at least render it inaccessible for a while), so we may move it to another protected, less threatened area.
Checking out the wells and other infrastructure was part of our first field walk, on Wendesday! It was so fun. We found animal records from the dairy farm and learned that it was an active dairy up until 1995, at least. We also investigated what tools and equipment the previous farmer left behind, and are super grateful! We already have an electric fence, multiple useful tools, and gates/fencing supplies from her.
The final part of our field walk covered the tillable fields - almost 3.5 acres (above, with me). The rest of our farm, and the house, is visible beyond the field (actually the house is totally obscured by trees here). As you can see, the upper portion is quite sloped, so for a while (or forever) it will be dedicated to straw production, perennial food crops like berries and rhubarb, and/or potentially crops like quinoa or oats, that we'd love to experiment with. More on our planned growing methods later! Thanks for reading.